Event management is a fast paced and ever changing industry that is constantly influenced by the latest trends and technologies emerging in the market. At Forum Group Events our goal is to use these trends to consistently deliver memorable experience that educate, connect and or inspire. Here is our list of the latest trends that we are currently seeing in our industry:
- Technology that engages
Utilising innovative technology has become a more integrated aspect of event planning and increasingly we are seeing organisations incorporating technology to push delegate engagement. Some examples of this include:
– Virtual and augmented reality: with fantastic implications for corporates to showcase their products, we have seen hotels and the tourism industry embrace this technology and combine it with traditional marketing and business development methods with great results.
– Gamification: e.g. think of the huge phenomenon that was Pokemon Go. A similar concept can be applied to events and team building activities.
– Using data capture: think about the impact of gauging audience reactions to live experiences will have. Post event surveys are quickly becoming a thing of the past.
– Artificial intelligence: Feeling overwhelmed with amount of data captured? AI will assist in the ability to analyse and sort through it all helping you to get on with leveraging the intel.
– RFID wristbands and other wearables: Name badges and hand held scanners will be replaced with RFID wristbands that track delegate movement through a tradeshow and offer a customised experience. Attendees can receive a personalised link to a page of digital content with their photos, notes, what they clicked on, etc.
– Beacons & geofencing: Event organisers will be able to receive rich aggregated data on guests – i.e. where they visited, for how long, their demographic. This info can then be shared with the host to aid future campaign planning. The potential to observe delegate behaviour will lead to even further customised experiences. Consider this – advertisements can be switched depending on the demographic of who is present.
– Interactive social media: Utilising social media to boost engagement is nothing new. However, we are especially witnessing the rise of SnapChat with over 110 million daily views and other platforms incorporating SnapChat features, it is certainly one to try.
– Video trumps all other content! – see point 4 below.
– Other hardware tech is becoming prominent and accessible, such as drones.
– Webcasting is now cheaper and easier to use than ever before. Consider the impacts of this technology! Delegates can attend meetings remotely and you can record and publish seminar content simultaneously.
- Personalise and customise – whenever you can
Intimate events are gaining traction. The big ballroom events still have their place however smaller, customised events are being held more frequently as people look to gain knowledge that is directly personalised and targeted to them.
Delegates have spoken through record attendance numbers – they want to attend smaller events where they have the chance to interact with other guests and invited speakers, have their questions answered, and be given the opportunity to contribute their own knowledge. They want organisers to facilitate introductions to contacts that are meaningful and relevant. As corporate marketers hosting events – we can use this trend to organise highly successful, targeted, sell-out events.
- Creative interactions
Further to the point above, enhanced delegate interaction can be coupled with the opportunity to be creative! Involve your guests in fun and effective engagement strategies. Think outside the box and make an educational experience memorable. Combine technology with creativity, for instance, invite delegates to draw on an iPad and have their artwork projection mapped onto a wall within the event space.
- Video is killing images, advertising, blogs, PowerPoint and ALL other content
Video has been outperforming images and worded social media posts for quite some time now, however more recently, customised video production, editing and promotion has never been easier or more affordable for marketers who happen to be hosting an event they wish to showcase. Forum Group Events’ team can assist you with this process and in particular with engagement strategies that will extend the life of your event, maximising the ever-important return on marketing spend investment.
- Style trend: Fresh, greenery
In terms of event styling – adding greenery via flora and graphic imagery is the latest hot design trend. Not only does it signify freshness but green tones and leafy images give people a sense of wellness. If you can, take your event outdoors literally or decoratively! Do everything you would normally do in amongst nature, under a marquee or theme your room using natural tones and leafy, outdoorsy props.
- Program it in: Make guest wellness a priority
We are hoping this one is more than a passing trend. Apply this approach to your events program by incorporating healthy menus, meditation, yoga, exercise, relaxation sessions, tranquil outdoor functions, chill out lounges or feature fresh greenery as part of your event décor and your delegates will reap the benefits as well as, with any luck, recall the event positively! As delegate happiness is an important measure of your success, incorporating this trend is a fantastic and stress-free addition to your to-do list.
For inspiration or information on how to apply these event trends to your next campaign, contact the Forum Group Events team on (02) 9212 6125 or email@example.com